San Timoteo Canyon School House Commitee
A note from the San Timoteo Canyon schoolhouse commitee
The school house is open to the public 12 pm to 4 pm on the first and third Saturday of each month. Other special events are held at the school house as well.
To get to the Old School House, exit from Highway 10 on Oak valley parkway, travel west 7 miles.
San Timoteo Schoolhouse
31985 San Timeteo Canyon Rd.
Redlands, CA 92373
Inquiries about the old school house should be directed to the Gilman Ranch (951) 922-9200
For those who have not seen the San Timoteo School House in a while check this out!!! School House progress
Historic facts about the old schoolhouse
1856 Original adobe school built on the site.
1876 The Railroad makes it's way through the canyon.
1894 The Wooden San Timeteo School house is constructed.
1900 Plumbing brought to the school house.
1918 Pepper trees planted
1924 A radio antenea was temporarily installed in the pepper trees during the 1924 presidential elections (Calvin Coolidge). The local residents were invited to come to the school house so they could hear the out come of the election.
1924 Windows relocated, Sunday school begins
1923 Restromm structure built
1924 Windows relocated Sunday school begins
1925 Drinking fountain built Roof stained dark red
1927 Teacher's desk moved to east side of classroom.
1930 Rear alcove windows removed.
1934 Electricity brought to schoolhouse
1935 Well, windmill &water tank removed.
1937 School closed (Sunday school continued)
1987 Sunday school closed, Sign (San Timeteo Union Sunday scholl) removed.
The old school house completes a long life of service to the community of San Timoteo Canyon. The schoolhouse falls into a deepend state of disrepair. It's future is in question. Local area bats take hold of the schoolhouse
1990 The school house is used for television back drop in a commercial
1996 The San Timeteo Canyon School House commitee is established. A plan is drafted to get the funding and support to refurbish the old school house.
1998 The bats are removed.
2001 The school house is recognized on the national register of historic places.
2006-2008 The schoolhouse undergoes a meticuoulous renovation
2009 The school house prepares to open as an interpretive center (education and local history)